As a shareholder in Glassman, Wyatt, Tuttle & Cox, Robert Cox is a trial lawyer that leaves no stone unturned when helping his clients. Robert’s commitment to his clients goes beyond his passion and dedication during the litigation process. Not only does he help educate his clients on each step of a particular matter and evaluate the matter using his over 25 years of experience, he stands ready to go into the field whenever needed to give his clients the upper hand. Robert’s commitment may range from on the scene accident observation and investigation, to wearing work boots in many environments, to appearing before a jury to argue on behalf of his clients. Helping clients in the Tri State Area, Robert is licensed in and has tried lawsuits for clients in Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas. He regularly handles some of the firm’s largest matters, including complex transportation litigation, business litigation and contract review, serious personal injury and premises liability litigation, nursing home litigation, professional malpractice, and more. Robert is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell, the highest professional rating that can be achieved through peer ratings and reviews. He is also rated by Best Lawyer’s in America. A few of Robert’s accomplishments throughout his career include:
- Tried over 50 lawsuits before a judge and jury including in Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas on a variety of topics.
- Taken over 1,000 depositions including of experts and medical providers.
- Argued for and obtained the Dismissal of a case against an injured plaintiff based on the plaintiff’s discovery abuse in Arkansas Federal Court. The plaintiff was alleged to have committed bad faith in document production and during depositions, and the Trial Court’s dismissal of the case was affirmed following Robert’s argument before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Presented oral argument in a motion for summary judgment in Tennessee Federal Court in a complex legal malpractice, fraud and RICO lawsuit filed against a host of private attorneys, district attorneys, law firms and judges. In the same case, Robert’s arguments helped achieve an order requiring the Plaintiff’s attorney to withdraw based on a conflict of interest.
- Represents a global telecommunications leader in a variety of litigation disputes including for employment litigation, personal injury litigation, automobile injury litigation, property damage and more.
- Represents a global shipping and logistics provider in the Tri State (Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi) area in personal injury defense and catastrophic transportation defense matters, including in state and federal courts.
- Previously represented the Mayor Pro Temp of Memphis, Tennessee in a citywide employment and regulatory dispute.
- Serves as the general counsel and adviser for a major Homeowners Association in Shelby County, Tennessee, assisting with consulting and contractual review.
- Represents multiple medical and dental practices in a variety of matters, including contractual review and drafting, consulting, contract interpretation, employment issues and business litigation.
- Defended a doctor alleged of civil wrongdoing under the False Claims Act and negotiated directly with the Federal Government on behalf of the doctor to defend against his alleged inappropriate billing practices under Medicare, Medicaid and other state/federal programs.
- Assists businesses sued for alleged violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), especially when a third party collection agency is alleged to have committed the wrongdoing and a not-at-fault business is sued.
Glassman, Wyatt, Tuttle & Cox, P.C. Firm:
- Diversity Hiring Manager
- Managing Partner, Personnel Division
- Head of Firm Recruitment Committee
- Transportation Litigation
- Legal Malpractice Defense
- Dental Malpractice Defense
- Realtor Malpractice Defense
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Premises Security and Premises Liability
- Probate Litigation, including Will Disputes and Trust Disputes
- Medical Practice Consulting, Contract Review and Litigation Assistance
- Serious Personal Injury Litigation
- Class Actions
- Builder and Homeowners Association (HOA) Representation, Consulting, Contract Review and Litigation Assistance
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Insurance Defense
- Southside High School (Memphis, Tennessee)
- Princeton University (B.A., 1987)
- University of Notre Dame School of Law (J.D., 1990)
- Tennessee Supreme Court (1990)
- Arkansas Supreme Court (2012)
- Mississippi Supreme Court (2014)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit (2014)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee (1990)
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Tennessee (1992)
- U.S. District Court, Northern & Southern Districts of Mississippi (2014)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern & Western Districts of Arkansas (2014)
- Trucking Insurance Defense Association (TIDA)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Trucking Law Section
- Litigation Section
- National Bar Association, Ben F. Jones Chapter
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Federal Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Arkansas Bar Association
- Memphis Bar Association
Honors and Professional Achievements:
- Best Lawyers in America
- AV-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Former Member, American Inns of Court, Leo Bearman, Sr. Chapter
- Former Hearing Committee Member, Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility
- Member, Monumental Baptist Church
- Current Board Member, Orpheum Theater
- General Counsel (2011-present)
- Current Board Member, Planned Parenthood
- Current Board Member, Southwind Residential Property Association
- Present Supporter, Porter Leath Children’s Center
- Member, University of Notre Dame Alumni Association
- Member, Black Alumni Association of Notre Dame
- Member, Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
- Former Board Member, Memphis Zoo
- Former Board Member, Boys & Girls Club of Greater Memphis