David Riley is a Shareholder with Glassman, Wyatt, Tuttle & Cox, and is experienced in a number of areas of law. David handles Jones Act cases on behalf of those injured in maritime settings, including barge injuries, tugboat injuries, ship injuries and more. David is also a leading Worker’s Compensation Attorney within the firm. David was born and raised in Ridgely, Tennessee, and has handled a number of cases from start to finish for the firm and its clients. In his career, David has assisted his clients in a number of ways, including:
- Served as lead counsel in a Jones Act case on behalf of a Boat Captain that suffered permanent lung damage after inhaling ammonia vapors. A confidential settlement was obtained before trial. The case was against a towing company that operated the largest fleet of anhydrous ammonia barges in the United States.
- Assisted with over 1,000 Worker’s Compensation claims on behalf of employers across the State of Tennessee, including before courts and administrative tribunals.
- Tried more than 30 cases in his career.
- Handled the appellate process of cases before the Tennessee Court of Appeals and the Tennessee Special Worker’s Compensation Appeals Panel.
- Secured summary judgment on behalf of multiple transportation companies sued for Wrongful Death.
- Taken over 500 depositions of medical doctors, registered nurses and expert witnesses.
- Assisted in the defense of lawyers and law firms sued for Legal Malpractice, obtaining summary judgment and dismissal of such cases on a number of occasions.
- Currently represents the Collierville Board of Zoning Appeals for the City of Collierville, Tennessee.
- Jones Act
- Worker’s Compensation
- Legal Malpractice Defense
- Personal Injury
- Transportation Litigation
- University of Tennessee at Martin, magna cum laude (B.S. Accounting, 1998)
- Alpha Tau Omega fraternity
- University of Memphis School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- Tennessee Supreme Court (2001)
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee (2001)
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Memphis and Shelby County Bar Association
Presentations and Publications
- David has presented a number of occasions on Worker’s Compensation topics before a wide variety of audiences.
- Active Volunteer and Supporter in Streets Ministries
- Supporter of Child Advocacy Center
David is married to Mary-Marsha Riley.